Bright and early this Monday morning, the news services are reporting a Washington Post story that a toxic poison commonly found in mothballs, 2-methylnaphthalene, may be the culprit behind the 28,000,000 boxes of Kellogg’s cereal recalled on June 25, 2010 (read the voluntary recall from Kellogg’s here).
This flies in the face of Kellogg’s recent press release, where the company blamed the cereal box liners for the strange smell that emanated from the recalled boxes of Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Froot Loops, and Honey Smacks.
Kellogg’s already admits that eating the cereal may cause “temporary” nausea and diarrhea. If the Washington Post investigation is right, then ingesting the cereal means eating a known carcinogen – something known to cause cancer. That’s a big difference.
Do you have any of these cereals in your pantry?