Right now, you probably have something in your mouth that might be slowing killing your brain if not your entire body. Mercury is a pretty silver metal that is toxic for humans.
And, for over a century now, mercury has been used by dentists to fill cavities. No worries, according to the American Dental Association. No worries, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) … until last week, when the FDA met to reconsider its March 2009 assertion that dental amalgrams containing mercury are safe for humans.
The FDA is taking a rather unusual step of grading its own papers after its receipt of four citizen petitions, including a “Petition for Reconsideration” prepared by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) and another, similar request from Citizens for Health. (Read the latter’s petition in its entirety here.)
Here, groups of dentists and periodontal researchers publicly slam the use of mercury in dental fillings and challenge the accuracy of the FDA’s public position that the mercury amalgrams are safe, especially for kids.
According to their findings, over time mercury from the fillings is slowly absorbed by the body, with every organ of their body having mercury transferred into it. Toxic mercury. Which means that the individual can have all sorts of health problems as a result, including Alzheimer’s disease or even death.
You Need to Make a Decision for You and Your Family
Today, anyone can get a cavity filled with a mercury amalgam. They are commonly used all over the country. However, if you have a concern about the dangers of having mercury in your mouth for years, then you can go to the dentist and have them replaced with one of the many options to a mercury filling: e.g., gold, composite resins, or porcelain.
Finally, if you are worried that a loved one may be damaged from having mercury fillings, then don’t delay in having them assessed by a trusted health professional.
Be careful out there.